Friday, November 4, 2011

Canning Apple Butter

A little while ago, I blogged about canning grape jelly for the first time. Well, 2 days after successfully canning 12 half pints of jelly, I was ready to tackle homemade apple butter! I followed the recipe on Simply Canning, and it was just as easy as the jelly, if not easier!

I used about...
15 apples
1.5 cups of sugar
1 ts. cinnamon
1/4 ts. ground cloves
1/4 ts. salt

Step 1: Peel core and slice apples. I used my handy-dandy apple corer/peeler/slicer. It made this step super easy! I got mine at Meijer on sale for just $10!


Step 2: Fill crock-pot with apples. Top with sugar and spice mixture. Mine is 4 quarts, so you would need more apples and sugar if you have a larger crock.


Step 3: Cook on high for 1 hr just before you go to bed. I started mine at 8:30pm. Then, give it is a stir and turn it to low. Go to sleep. Wake up in the morning to this:


I did use my immersion blender to smooth out the chunks, but you could also just use a potato masher too! Next, get your canner going, then sterilize and heat jars and lids. Fill up the jars, wipe rims and screw on lids. I was able to fill 6 half pint jars with leftovers for the fridge.


Process in canner for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool for 24 hrs. Wala! Homemade canned apple butter!

This stuff is DIVINE. I am not a huge fan of apple butter normally, but that has all changed! We already went through the leftovers I stored in the fridge! Serve on warm bread or whatever you like really. Peanut particularly loves it when I make her an apple butter sandwich!

2 comments:

SparingChange said...

So funny seeing this - I was planning on making some of this with the applesauce I made about a month ago!

http://sparing-change.blogspot.com/2011/10/recipe-crockpot-applesauce.html

I've got the same corer/peeler and love it!

I will be making a batch of this apple butter hopefully this week to can for Christmas gifts. :-)

We got 140 lbs of apples this year from an apple orchard 2 hours away for $15! I still have a case in the freezer that I can make more sauce or butter with. Thank you for the motivation!

Rachel said...

Wow- 140lbs for $15 is an insane deal! I would be canning like crazy too!

I also ended up canning some applesauce as well, but I didn't post about it. For the price I paid for the apples ($0.49lb), it really didn't get me much ahead to do my own applesauce. But I'm sure it would be more than worth it for you! Good luck with all that canning!