- Line-dried all my clothes. I do this exclusively now that it is summer. Our clothes smell so much better, last a lot longer and I get sunshine and exercise to boot. The sun also is a great disinfectant so I usually feel they come out cleaner this way. Yes, I line-dry all our towels, socks, underwear you-name-it. Our dryer has been unplugged for the past several months :)
- Ate lots of leftovers. We didn't have ANY leftover waste this week, which is a huge accomplishment since leftovers tend to pile up for us. I always hate throwing out food since it's basically throwing away money!
- Went on a hike as a family. We went to a nature preserve close to our house and so did not pay much for gas. This was a fun, FREE activity that we love! Dallas hiked the entire way by herself over roots, rocks and other barriers. She was so excited to lead the way, reminds me a lot of myself as a child!
- Stayed home and played outside in our backyard. Staying home is frugal since we don't spend any money on gas or other shopping while out! Dallas played on her swing-set and Dahlia crawled around on a blanket in the grass throughout the whole week.
- Ran the dishwasher only once a day with full loads only and let them air dry instead of running the heat-dry cycle.
- Washed all the clothes except cloth diapers in cold water.
- Used cloth diapers half the week - this saves a ton of money!
- Researched and planned for our upcoming 2 week vacation. I worked on menu plans, shopping lists and Rob helped research campgrounds to stay in. We will not have any lodging costs on this trip except campgrounds since we will be staying in a family cabin the rest of the time. Menu-planning helps ensure we only eat out on planned days.
- Did not have to water the garden on several days due to rain, hooray!
- Successfully canned 5 pints of tomato sauce from tomatoes harvested from our garden. I also froze about 10lbs to save for the next canning session.
Sunday, August 5, 2012
This Week's Frugal Activities
There is a forum I frequent that has a topic entitled "What Frugal Thing Have You Done Today?", and rather than update on the forum, I have decided to update it here on my blog instead. I'm hoping to start posting weekly again and this gets me started.